|Located in||Cheshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Greater Manchester, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Bowdon, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a township|
|Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Bucklow Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district in which ie was located 1894-1936|
|Altrincham, Cheshire, England||urban district which administered part of Timperley 1936-1974|
|Trafford (metropolitan borough), Greater Manchester, England||metropolitan borough in which it has been situated since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Timperley has been since 1974 a suburban village within the Altrincham area, of the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford in Greater Manchester, England. Situated within the historic county boundaries of Cheshire, Timperley is approximately seven miles (11 km) southwest of Manchester.
Up until the early 19th century Timperley was one of several townships in the ecclesiastical parish of Bowdon. Timperley Parish Council was established in the 1866. From the late 19th century Bucklow Rural District Council administered Timperley until 1936 when responsibility passed to Altrincham Urban District Council.
Since 1974 Timperley has been a part of Trafford Metropolitan Borough.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Timperley, Cheshire, England | Bowdon, Cheshire, England | Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, England | Bucklow Registration District, Cheshire, England | Altrincham, Cheshire, England | Bucklow Rural, Cheshire, England | Greater Manchester, England | Trafford (metropolitan borough), Greater Manchester, England