|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1955)|
|See also||Simonburn, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Bellingham Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Tarset, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Thorneyburn from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "THORNEYBURN, a parish, with two townships, in Bellingham [registration] district, Northumberland; 1¾ mile N of Tarset [railway] station, and 4½ NW by W of Bellingham. Post town: Bellingham, under Hexham. Acres: 20,133. Real property: £3,280. Population: 514. Houses: 72. The property is much subdivided. Much of the land is moorish waste. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value: £200. Patron: Greenwich Hospital."
Thorneyburn was an ancient parish in the Tynedale Ward which also became a civil parish in the 19th century. Its two townships were Tarset West and itself. From 1894 it was part of Bellingham Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the newly-formed parish of Tarset.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Thorneyburn, Northumberland, England | Simonburn, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Bellingham Rural, Northumberland, England | Tarset, Northumberland, England