|Alt names||Suindone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 115|
|Swindon Village||source: modern-day usage|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England|
|See also||Cheltenham (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred of which it was a part|
|Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Tewkesbury (district), Gloucestershire, England||municipal district in which it was situated 1974-1991|
|Cheltenham Borough, Gloucestershire, England||district municipality of which it has been a part since 1991|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Swindon Village has been, since 1991, a village and a suburb in the spa town of Cheltenham, in Gloucestershire, England. Prior to 1974 Swindon Village was located in Cheltenham Rural District. Between 1974 and 1991 it was in Tewkesbury (district), and in 1991 it was transferred to Cheltenham Borough.
In 1935 Swindon civil parish was enlarged by the abolition of Southam and Brockhampton civil parish, an area of 649 acres.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Swindon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "SWINDON, a parish in Cheltenham district, Gloucester; 2 miles NNW of Cheltenham [railway] station. It has a postal letter-box under Cheltenham. Acres: 721. Real property: £2,499. Population: 227. houses: 43. The manor belongs to H. S. Stratford, Esq. [Swindon] Hall is the seat of J. S. Surman, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £479. Patron: J. S. Surman, Esq. The church is Norman and early English, and was recently restored. There is a national school of 1863."
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury (district), Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Borough, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Swindon, Gloucestershire, England | Southam and Brockhampton, Gloucestershire, England