Stone, or Stone-next-Faversham, found close to Ospringe is in the east part of the present parish of Norton, Buckland and Stone (see below). It has just a cottage, a farm and its Anglo-Saxon chapel, which is a scheduled ancient monument. It was once referred to in ancient Latin deeds as "Stanes".
Edward Hasted, refers to it as "a small obscure parish, hardly known to anyone". The parish was under the control of the manor of Elverton in Luddenham which is written in the Domesday survey of 1086 as "Ernolton" and in ancient Latin deeds as "Eylwartone". The chapel was called "the chapel of our Lady of Eylwarton" which is within the diocese of Canterbury and the deanery of Ospringe. In 1227, the chapel appears in the "Black Book" (Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae) of the archdeacon of Canterbury, Stephen Langton. (Source:Hasted, Edward (1798). "Parishes" in The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent (Institute of Historical Research) 6: 401–413.)
Norton, Buckland and Stone is a small rural post-1974 civil parish 1 mile (1.6 km) east of Teynham and 3 miles (4.8 km) west of the centre of Faversham in the borough of Swale. It is bypassed by the M2 to the south and traverses the historic A2, on the route of the Roman road of Watling Street.