- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Stonar from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "STONAR, a quondam town and a parish in Thanet district, Kent. The town stood on the river Stonar, 1 mile NNE of Sandwich; is supposed to have been the Lapis Titnli of the Romans; was the place of Louis the Dauphin's debarkation in 1216, and of Edward III.'s embarkation in 1359; was destroyed by the French in 1385; figured as a member of Sandwich in 1773; and is now represented by only a farm house. The parish comprises 670 acres. Post town, Sandwich. Real property: £1,546. Population: 42. Houses: 8. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value: not reported. Patron: the Crown, by lapse. There is no church."
A suggested meaning of quondam is "sometime" (Source: Wiktionary).
Stonar was recognized as a civil parish in the Isle of Thanet Rural District between 1894 and 1935. In 1935 it was one of the parishes dissolved to create the civil parish of Sandwich.