|Alt names||Sandwic||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 142|
|Sandwich St. Clement||source: ancient and civil parish within Sandwich until 1935|
|Sandwich St. Mary||source: ancient and civil parish within Sandwich until 1935|
|Sandwich St. Peter||source: ancient and civil parish within Sandwich until 1935|
|Type||Civil parish, Borough (municipal)|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Dover District, Kent, England||district municipality into which it was absorbed in 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Sandwich is a historic town and civil parish on the River Stour in the non-metropolitan District of Dover, within the ceremonial county of Kent, England. In the UK census of 2011 it had a population of 4,989.
Sandwich was one of the Cinque Ports and still has many original medieval buildings, including several listed public houses and gates in the old town walls, churches, almshouses and the White Mill. While once a major port, it is now two miles from the sea due to the disappearance of the Wantsum Channel. Its historic centre has been preserved.
Sandwich gave its name to the bread snack by way of John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich. The word sandwich is now found in many languages.
Sandwich was originally an ancient borough, a self-governing walled town, made up of three ancient and civil parishes: Sandwich St. Clement, Sandwich St. Mary and Sandwich St. Peter, which merged as the civil parish of Sandwich in 1935. For the century previous the three parishes together had been classified as a municipal borough. On the formation of Dover District, only the classification of civil parish remained.
The description of Sandwich from A Vision of Britain through Time from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72 is a much longer passage than those commonly reproduced. It provides a picture of the town in the latter half of the nineteenth century and some statistics of the time.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Sandwich, Kent.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
- Kent had five family history societies (now only four):