|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Durham, England|
|See also||Brancepeth, Durham, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Darlington Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located until 1829|
|Durham Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1829|
|Willington, Durham, England||urban district of which it was part 1894-1937|
|Crook and Willington, Durham, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1937|
|Wear Valley District, Durham, England|||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Stockley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "STOCKLEY, a township in Brancepeth parish, Durhamshire; 4½ miles SW by W of Durham. Acres: 1,342. Real property: £2,961; of which £2,000 are in mines. Population in 1851: 44; in 1861: 282. Houses: 51. The increase of population arose from the extension of coal mining."
Stockley was originally a township in the ancient parish of Brancepeth in County Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Willington Urban District. In 1937 it was abolished and absorbed into Crook and Willington civil parish. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger Wear Valley non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.
Categories: Durham, England | Stockley, Durham, England | Brancepeth, Durham, England | Darlington Ward, Durham, England | Durham Ward, Durham, England | Willington, Durham, England | Crook and Willington, Durham, England | Wear Valley District, Durham, England