|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Durham, England|
|See also||Brancepeth, Durham, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Darlington Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Crook and Willington, Durham, England||parish into which it was absorbed in 1937|
|Wear Valley District, Durham, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Willington is a former-pit town in County Durham, England. It is in the foothills of the Pennines and near the River Wear close to Crook and Bishop Auckland. Like many communities in the area, Willington's economy was largely based on coal mining. The closure of the colliery in 1967 therefore hit the town hard. Similarly to many former mining communities this is a blow that Willington has struggled to recover from.
Although a handful of job opportunities remain within the village limits, for many residents work is now located outside of the village, and Willington functions largely as a satellite town for Bishop Auckland and Durham City.
Willington was originally a township in the ancient parish of Brancepeth in County Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1937 it was an urban district. In 1937 the urban district was abolished and the parish was absorbed into Crook and Willington which was also an urban district. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger Wear Valley non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Willington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WILLINGTON, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Brancepeth parish, Durham. The village stands on the Durham and Bishop-Auckland railway, 5 miles N of Bishop-Auckland; and has a post-office, designated Willington, County of Durham, and a [railway] station. The township comprises 1,485 acres. Real property: £3,246; of which £1,000 are in mines. Population in 1851: 965; in 1861:, 2,393. Houses: 441. The increase of population arose from extension of coal mining.
- "The chapelry was constituted in 1858. Population in 1861: 3,784. Houses: 686. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value: £300. Patron: the Rector of Brancepeth. The church is good; and there are a New Connexion Methodist chapel and a national school."
Categories: Durham, England | Willington, Durham, England | Brancepeth, Durham, England | Darlington Ward, Durham, England | Crook and Willington, Durham, England | Wear Valley District, Durham, England