- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Stinchcombe is a small village and civil parish in Gloucestershire, England on the B4060 road between Dursley and North Nibley. The church is called St Cyr's and its yard contains 40–60 gravestones.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Stinchcombe from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "STINCHCOMBE, a parish, with a village, in Dursley district, Gloucester; 2 miles WNW of Dursley [railway] station. It has a post-office under Dursley. Acres: 1,464. Real property: £2,705. Population: 340. Houses: 77. The manor belongs to the Rev. Sir G. Prevost, Bart. Stancombe Park is the seat of P. B. Purnell, Esq. Stinchcombe Hill commands an extensive view. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £65. Patron: the Bishop of [Gloucester and Bristol]. The church, excepting tower and spire, was rebuilt in 1855. There are a national school, and charities £25."
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Stinchcombe, Gloucestershire, England | Berkeley Hundred, Gloucestershire, England | Dursley Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Stroud District, Gloucestershire, England | Dursley Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Stroud Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England