- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Stinchcombe is a small village and civil parish in Gloucestershire, England on the B4060 road between Dursley and North Nibley. The church is called St Cyr's and its yard contains 40–60 gravestones.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Stinchcombe from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "STINCHCOMBE, a parish, with a village, in Dursley district, Gloucester; 2 miles WNW of Dursley [railway] station. It has a post-office under Dursley. Acres: 1,464. Real property: £2,705. Population: 340. Houses: 77. The manor belongs to the Rev. Sir G. Prevost, Bart. Stancombe Park is the seat of P. B. Purnell, Esq. Stinchcombe Hill commands an extensive view. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £65. Patron: the Bishop of [Gloucester and Bristol]. The church, excepting tower and spire, was rebuilt in 1855. There are a national school, and charities £25."