- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
North Nibley is a village in Gloucestershire, England about 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) northwest of Wotton-under-Edge.
The village is commonly known as Nibley, but the official name distinguishes it from the village of Nibley, just outside Yate, about 10 miles (16 km) away in South Gloucestershire. Nibley Green is an associated hamlet to the northwest of North Nibley.
The village is the probable birthplace of William Tyndale who was responsible for translating the New Testament into English, for which he was later sentenced to death and burned at the stake in Vilvoorde, Flanders [modern-day Belgium]. Nibley House, next to the church, was the home of John Smyth (1567–1641), steward of the Berkeley Estates and historian of the early settlement of Virginia.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Berkeley (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Dursley Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Stroud (district), Gloucestershire, England | Dursley Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Stroud Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | North Nibley, Gloucestershire, England