|Alt names||Standford||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Lyminge, Kent, England||ancient parish of which it was a chapelry|
|Stowting Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Elham Rural, Kent, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1974|
|Shepway District, Kent, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Stanford is a village and civil parish in Kent, England, close to Folkestone. It is part of the District of Shepway, whose council headquarters are in Folkestone.
In modern times has been divided by the M20 motorway into Stanford North and Stanford South. The Stanford Windmill is to the north of the M20 and west of the ancient Roman Stone Street. The parish church is All Saints. The 2011 Census population of 479 includes the village of Westenhanger which is part of the parish.
Stanford was originally a chapelry in the ancient parish of Lyminge in the Stowting Hundred. Between 1894 and 1974 it was part of the Elham Rural District.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Stanford from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "STANDFORD, a parish, with a village and two hamlets, in Elham district, Kent; near Westonhanger [railway] station, 2½ miles NW by N of Hythe. It has a post-office under Hythe. Acres: 1,181. Real property: 1,982. Population: 294. Houses: 55. The manor belongs to J. Fitz-patrick, Esq.; and most of the land to Lord Strangford. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Canterbury. Value: not reported. Patron: the Rev. W. Tylden. The church, except the chancel, was rebuilt in 1846. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £10."
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
- Kent had five family history societies (now only four):
Categories: Kent, England | Stanford, Kent, England | Lyminge, Kent, England | Stowting Hundred, Kent, England | Elham Rural, Kent, England | Shepway District, Kent, England