- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Lyminge from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "LYMINGE, a village and a parish in Elham [registration] district, Kent. The village stands 1¾ mile E of Stane-street, 3½ NE of Westenhanger [railway] station, and 3¾ N of Hythe; has a post office under Hythe; and will have a station on the Elham Valley railway, which was begun to be forwarded in 1867. The parish comprises 4,459 acres. Real property: £4,078. Population: 938. Houses: 156. The property is much subdivided.
- "The manor belonged to a nunnery founded here in 633, by Ethelburga, daughter of King Ethelbert; passed to the Archbishops of Canterbury; was surrendered by Archbishop Cranmer to the Crown; went through varions possessors to Lord Loughborough; and belongs now to Stephen Kelcey, Esq. The nunnery was destroyed by the Danes, and early disappeared. A spring, called St. Eadburg's well, is near the church, and emits a headstream of the Little Stour river. Upwards of 1,000 acres are under wood; and part of the land is hilly, with a light poor Soil: but the rest is very fertile. The living is a rectory, united with the [perpetual] curacy of Paddlesworth, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value: £920. Patron: the Rev. R. Jenkins. The church belonged to the nunnery; was built out of the materials of a Roman structure, some remains of which still exist; is mentioned in charter's of Wihtred and Cuthred, of the years 697 and 804; was the burial-place of Ethelburga: comprises nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a remarkable flying-buttress; and was recently repaired. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £38. The Elham workhouse also is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 215 inmates."
Lyminge was a civil parish in Elham Rural District from 1894 until 1974, and since 1974 has been part of the non-metropolitan Shepway District. Originally it was an ancient parish in Loningborough Hundred. The civil parish of Stanford was within the bounds of Lyminge parish.
There is no article in Wikipedia.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
- The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also