It is marked on an Ordnance Survey map of 1876 as New Wimbledon and on a 1907 map as South Wimbledon. The name is derived from Wimbledon, which is located to the North.
South Wimbledon formed the northeastern section of the parish of Merton, with the separate parish of Wimbledon located to the north. The parish became the Merton Urban District in 1907, renamed Merton and Morden in 1913. South Wimbledon has formed part of the London Borough of Merton since 1965.
South Wimbledon (Merton) tube station was opened in 1926 on the corner of Merton High Street and Morden Road.