South Petherwin (Cornish: Paderwynn Dheghow) is a village and civil parish in the east of Cornwall, England. The civil parish is bounded to the north by the Launceston parishes of St. Thomas the Apostle and St. Mary Magdalene, to the east by Lawhitton and Lezant parishes and to the west by Trewen parish. The population of the parish in the 2001 census was 932.
South Petherwin village is situated 3 miles (5 km) south-southwest of the town of Launceston on the road from Launceston to Liskeard. The parish church is dedicated to St Paternus and its tower has pinnacles and battlements and houses a ring of five bells.
In the 19th century South Petherwin was part of Launceston Poor Law Union and Registration District. In 1894 when urban and rural districts were introduced, it was split into two sections with South Petherwin Urban becoming a part of Launceston, and South Petherwin Rural Civil Parish joining the Launceston Rural District.
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.