Place:South Brewham, Somerset, England

Watchers
NameSouth Brewham
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.124°N 2.4022°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoBruton Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Wincanton Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1933
Brewham, Somerset, Englandparish into which it was merged in 1933
source: Family History Library Catalog


South Brewham and its sister village of North Brewham were parishes in the Bruton Hundred and in the Wincanton Registration District during the 19th century. From 1894 until 1933 they were parishes in the Wincanton Rural District. In 1933 they were merged to become the single parish of Brewham.

Historical Descriptions

1822 - Christopher and John Greenwood

A parish in the hundred of Bruton, 3 miles E. N. E. from Brewton ; containing 97 inhabited houses, and as many families, the whole of whom are employed in agriculture. The village is situated in a narrow vale by the side of the river Brew, over which there is a stone bridge of one arch. The church consists of a nave, chancel, north aisle, and porch, with a tower containing three bells. The living is a curacy ; Rev. John Dampier, incumbent; instituted 1813. Population, 1801, 470 — 1811, 508 — 1821, 600.

1929 - Somerset by George Woosung Wade & Joseph Henry Wade

Brewham, South, a village 3 m. N.E. of Bruton. It lies in a dell through which flows the Brue (whence its name). The church, chiefly Perp., is not of much interest, though beneath the tower at the S.W. corner is a doorway of rough construction but peculiar character; near it is a stoup. In the churchyard is a cross and an old font. North Brewham is a small hamlet ½ m. away.

Research Tips

  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address: archives@somerset.gov.uk.
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s