South Brewham and its sister village of North Brewham were parishes in the Bruton Hundred and in the Wincanton Registration District during the 19th century. From 1894 until 1933 they were parishes in the Wincanton Rural District. In 1933 they were merged to become the single parish of Brewham.
1822 - Christopher and John Greenwood
A parish in the hundred of Bruton, 3 miles E. N. E. from Brewton ; containing 97 inhabited houses, and as many families, the whole of whom are employed in agriculture. The village is situated in a narrow vale by the side of the river Brew, over which there is a stone bridge of one arch. The church consists of a nave, chancel, north aisle, and porch, with a tower containing three bells. The living is a curacy ; Rev. John Dampier, incumbent; instituted 1813. Population, 1801, 470 — 1811, 508 — 1821, 600.
1929 - Somerset by George Woosung Wade & Joseph Henry Wade
Brewham, South, a village 3 m. N.E. of Bruton. It lies in a dell through which flows the Brue (whence its name). The church, chiefly Perp., is not of much interest, though beneath the tower at the S.W. corner is a doorway of rough construction but peculiar character; near it is a stoup. In the churchyard is a cross and an old font. North Brewham is a small hamlet ½ m. away.