Ruan-Lanihorne is a civil parish and village in Cornwall, England. The village is situated approximately four miles (6.5 km) east-southeast of Truro between the River Fal and its tributary the Ruan River.
Ruanlanihorne, as the parish is spelt, is entirely rural in character with wooded areas in the river valleys. It is bounded to the north by Tregony parish, to the east by Veryan parish, to the south by Philleigh parish and to the west by St. Michael-Penkevil parish. Apart from the church town of Ruan Lanihorne, the only other settlements of any size are in the south of the parish: Treworga and Ruan High Lanes which is right on the parish's boundary with Veryan. Lambourne is a house near Ruan High Lanes.
The parish is in the Truro Registration District and the population was 250 in the 2001 census.
The name Lanihorne is perhaps a modified form of Laryhorn (the Cornish name of this place). The village was, from the mid 12th century onwards, the site of an adulterine castle of the Lercedekne family and the main settlement was at Sheepstor (Sheepstall) some distance away towards Tregony (where the Pomeroy family also built a castle). In 1334 John Lercedekne was granted permission for the castle by Edward III. Before the castle was demolished in the 19th century, it was described as having a 40 ft high keep, seven or eight towers and possibly an outer court.
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.