The Manor of Eglosrose is mentioned in the Domesday Book and the remainder of the parish was in the episcopal Manor of Tregear. The parish church is dedicated to St Fili or Filius. The church has a west tower, a north transept and a south aisle; the aisle arcade has seven bays and is of white granite on circular piers. The font is octagonal and dates from the 13th century.
The remains of the mansion of the Arundells are at Talverne: associated with it were two medieval chapels, mentioned in 1384. Tolverne Cottage, within the civil parish, was used as an embarkation point for the D-Day landings in World War II.
19th Century Description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Philleigh from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.