- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
For centuries Romiley was an agricultural area, until the late Victorian era, when it became residential, with a small district centre. There are fields to the north of the central area.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
- GENUKI provides the following information
Romiley included the hamlets of Chadkirk, Cherry Tree, Greave Fold and Lane Ends. Barlowfold is redirected to Stockport. Until 1745 St. Mary the Virgin in Stockport was the Church of England parish church. In that year the church of St. Chad in Chadkirk was founded as a chapel to Stockport St. Mary and became the district church for Romiley in 1876. There were also Wesleyan Methodist and Primitive Methodist Chapels. The population was 825 in 1801, 1,364 in 1851, and 2,416 in 1901.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Romiley, Cheshire, England | Stockport, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, England | Bredbury and Romiley, Cheshire, England | Stockport (metropolitan borough), Greater Manchester, England | Greater Manchester, England