|Located in||Somerset, England|
|See also||Frome Hundred, Somerset, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Boyton, Wiltshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a chapelry|
|Frome Rural, Somerset, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Selwood, Somerset, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1933|
|Mendip District, Somerset, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia.
Rodden is a village in the parish of Selwood in the Mendip District of Somerset, England. The Church of All Saints in Rodden dates from 1640, and was rebuilt in the mid 19th century. The Manor House dates from the late 16th century.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Rodden was a separate civil parish from 1866 until 1933 when it was absorbed into Selwood. The parish was part of the hundred of Frome and the Frome Rural District (1894-1933). Prior to 1866 it was a chapelry, possibly in the ancient parish of Boyton in Wiltshire. (Source:A Vision of Britain through Time)
1822 - Somersetshire delineated by Christopher & John Greenwood
A parish in the hundred of Frome, 2 miles E. from Frome; containing 34 inhabited houses, and 50 families, 30 of whom are employed in agriculture. The land, which comprises about 1000 acres, is principally applied to meadow and pasture; a number of streams run through the parish, one of which, called Rodden Trout-Stream, turns several mills in its course to the river Frome. The chapel was built at the expense of the inhabitants, about the year 164O, by the rector of Boynton, in Wilts, pursuant to an order obtained from the Archbishop of Canterbury, to which the said rector annexed the chancel. The presentation is in the rector of Boynton for the time being; Rev. J. M. Rogers, incumbent. Population, 1801, 200 — 1811, no return — 1821, 272.
1929 - Somerset by George Woosung Wade & Joseph Henry Wade
Rodden, a small parish 1½ m. E. from Frome. There is no village. The church stands in a farmyard, and has to be reached by crossing the fields. It is a quaint little pseudo-Perp. structure with a toy tower, built 1640.
General Somerset Tips
- The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
The Heritage Centre has an email address: email@example.com.
- Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
- Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
- Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
- Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
Categories: Somerset, England | Rodden, Somerset, England | Frome Hundred, Somerset, England | Boyton, Wiltshire, England | Frome Rural, Somerset, England | Selwood, Somerset, England | Mendip District, Somerset, England