|Alt names||East Woodlands||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|West Woodlands||source: village in parish|
|Alder Row||source: hamlet in parish|
|Blatchbridge||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish, Suburb|
|Located in||Somerset, England|
|See also||Frome Hundred, Somerset, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Frome, Somerset, England||parish in which it was a chapelry|
|Frome Rural, Somerset, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Mendip District, Somerset, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
Selwood is now part of the suburbs of Frome. It is a civil parish in the Mendip District of Somerset, England. According to the UK census of 2011, the parish had a population of 798.
According to A Vision of Britain through Time Selwood was a chapelry in Frome ancient parish and part of Frome until 1894 when it became a separate civil parish. It absorbed the parish of [[Place:Rodden in 1933. The parish also includes the villages of East and West Woodlands, and the hamlets of Alder Row and Blatchbridge.
The parish was part of the hundred of Frome and the Frome Rural District (1894-1974).
- The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
The Heritage Centre has an email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
- Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
- Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
- Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
Categories: Somerset, England | Selwood, Somerset, England | Frome Hundred, Somerset, England | Frome, Somerset, England | Frome Rural, Somerset, England | Mendip District, Somerset, England