|Alt names||Redlege||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 149|
|Hodsall||source: hamlet in parish|
|Hodsall Street||source: alternate name for above|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Wingham Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Axstane Dartford and Wilmington Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Dartford Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1955|
|Ash with Ridley, Kent, England||civil parish it became 1955-1974|
|Sevenoaks District, Kent, England||district municipality to which the parish was transferred in 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Ridley is a small village and former civil parish located in the Sevenoaks District in Kent. It lies between Sevenoaks and Chatham. It shares the parish of Ash with Ridley with the nearby village of Ash. Ridley parish also contained the hamlet of Hodsall or Hodsall Street (redirected here).
Ash and Ridley were formerly separate parishes. Both were part of Dartford Rural District (1894-1934) and, previous to that, parts of the Axstane Dartford and Wilmington Hundred and the Wingham Hundred. The parish was united with Ash on 1 April 1955, as part of a general revision of boundaries for parishes within Dartford Rural District.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
- Kent had five family history societies (now only four):
- Volume 2 of the Victoria County History of Kent (published 1926) is available online through the auspices of British History Online. It includes accounts of the early history of Canterbury and Rochester cathedrals, and of several sites now within the conurbation of London.
- Volume 3 of the Victoria County History of Kent (published 1932) This includes the text of, and the index to, the Kent Domesday survey. It has been provided by the Kent Archaeological Society.
- In place of the other volumes of the Victoria County History, British History Online has transcriptions of the numerous volumes of The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent by Edward Hasted (originally published 1797)
- English Jurisdictions 1851, a parish finding aid provided by FamilySearch, is particularly helpful in locating parishes in large ancient towns and cities like Canterbury.
- Kent Probate Records Numerous links provided by Maureen Rawson
- GENUKI lists other possible sources, however, it does not serve Kent so well as it does some other counties.
Categories: Kent, England | Ridley, Kent, England | Wingham Hundred, Kent, England | Axstane Dartford and Wilmington Hundred, Kent, England | Dartford Rural, Kent, England | Ash with Ridley, Kent, England | Sevenoaks District, Kent, England