|Alt names||Bremetennacum||source: Athena, Romano-British Sites [online] (2000)|
|Bremetennacum Veteranorum||source: GRI Photo Archive, Authority File (1998) p 13036|
|Ribelcastre||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 156|
|Type||Ancient parish, Civil parish|
|Located in||Lancashire, England|
|See also||Amounderness Hundred, Lancashire, England||hundred in which it was part located|
|Blackburn Hundred, Lancashire, England||hundred in which it was part located|
|Preston Rural, Lancashire, England|||rural district in which the parish was located 1894-1974|
|Ribble Valley (borough), Lancashire, England||district municipality in which the parish has been located since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: The village of Knowl-Green or Knowle Green (mentioned in Wilson's Gazetteer) has been re-directed here.
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Ribchester is a village and civil parish within the Ribble Valley district of Lancashire, England. It lies on the banks of the River Ribble, northwest of Blackburn and east of Preston.
The village has a long history with evidence of Bronze Age beginnings. It is well known as a significant Roman site being the location of a Roman cavalry fort called Bremetennacum, some parts of which have been exposed by excavation. In common with many towns and villages in East Lancashire its later history was dominated by cotton weaving; firstly in the form of hand-loom weaving and later in two mills. Neither mill still operates and the village is primarily a dormitory village for commuters to the town of Blackburn and the cities of Preston and Manchester.
The main access road into Ribchester is the B6245. From the north, this is the Preston Road, which merges into Church Street. From the east, it is the Blackburn Road, which, at its westernmost extremity, also links up with Church Street, albeit closer to the centre of the village.
From 1894 until 1974 the parish was in Preston Rural District. In the 19th century it was part of Alston sub-district of Preston Registration District and Poor Law Union, and before becoming a civil parish in 1866 it was a township and ancient parish split between Amounderness Hundred and Blackburn Hundred.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ribchester from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "RIBCHESTER, an ancient small town, a township, and a parish, in Preston district, Lancashire. The town stands on the river Ribble, 3¼ miles N W of a station ofits own name on the Blackburn and Clitheroe railway, and 5½ N N W of Blackburn; occupies the site of the Roman station Coccium or Rigodunum; was reached, in ancient times, by the tide coming up the Ribble; has yielded multitudes of ancient relics, including Roman altars, columns, statues, marbles, coins, and armour, besides anchors and part of a vessel's hull; carries on hand-loom weaving; and has a post-office under Preston. ...
- "The township comprises 2,093 acres. Real property: £3,459; of which £89 are in quarries. Population in 1851: 1,650; in 1861: 1,357. Houses: 261. The decrease of population arose from the removal of hand-loom weavers to towns. The manor belongs to J.and J. Fenton, Esqs. A workhouse of Preston district is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 113 inmates. The parish contains also the townships of Hothersall, Dutton, Alston, and Dilworth. Acres: 8,150. Population: 3,885. Houses: 751. The property is much subdivided. Cotton-spinning and varions manufactures are carried on at Longridge and Knowl-Green. The living is a vicarage, united with the [perpetual] curacy of Stidd, in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £175. Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and chapel, with a tower; and once had two chantries. The vicarage of Longridge is a separate benefice. There are an Independent chapel at Knowl-Green, places of worship at Longridge, an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £52."