Rajahmundry is one of the major cities in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It is located on the banks of Godavari River, in East Godavari district of the state. The city is the divisional headquarters of both Rajahmundry (rural) and Rajahmundry (urban) mandals. It is also one of the two municipal corporations in the district, alongside Kakinada. census, it is the sixth most populous city in Andhra Pradesh, with a population of 343,903 and the fifth most urban agglomeration settlement, with a population of 478,199.
In its earlier days it was called Rajamahendravaram. It is one of the historical cities, famous for political, agricultural, literary, economical, social and cultural backgrounds. Hence, the city is also known as the Cultural Capital of Andhra Pradesh. Asia's second largest road cum rail bridge is on the Godavari River connecting Kovvur and Rajahmundry on the Howrah-Chennai main line.
The city origins can be traced back to the rule of the Chalukya king Raja Raja Narendra who reigned around 1022 AD, after whom it is named Rajamahendri or Rajamahendravaram. Remains of 11th-century palaces and fort walls still exist. However, new archaeological evidence suggests that the town may have existed much before the Chalukyas.
Rajahmundry was established by Ammaraja Vishnuvardhana, the first (919–934 AD). Some people believe in this theory as Vishnuvardhana had the title "Rajamahendra". His predecessor Ammaraja Vijayaditya, the second (945–970 AD) had Rajaraja Narendra (1022–1061 AD) had the same title "Rajamahendra".
In the Madras Presidency, the district of Rajahmundry was created in 1823. The Rajahmundry district was reorganised in 1859 into the Godavari and Krishna districts. During British rule, Rajahmundry was the headquarters of Godavari district. Godavari district was further bifurcated into East and West Godavari districts in 1925. Rajamhendravaram was renamed Rajahmundry during the rule of the British, for whom the city was the headquarters of the Godavari district. When the district was split into East and West, Kakinada became the headquarters of East Godavari.
Rajahmundry is acclaimed as the birthplace of the Telugu language—its grammar and script evolving from the pen of the city-born poet, Nannayya. Known also called 'Adi Kavi' (the first poet) of Telugu, Nannayya along with Tikkana and Yerrana, translated the Sanskrit version of Mahabharata into Telugu. Kandukuri Veeresalingam—a social reformer and the author of Rajashekhara Charithra, the first Telugu novel—was also from Rajahmundry.
Rajahmundry was one of the biggest cities in South India in the 19th century. It was the hotbed of several movements during India's freedom struggle and acted as a base for many key leaders. When the Indian National Congress had its first meeting in Bombay (Mumbai), two leaders from Rajahmundry, Nyapathi Subba Rao and Kandukuri Veeresalingam participated in it. Subba Rao, founder of Hindu Samaj in Rajahmundry, was also one of the six founders of India's noted English daily The Hindu.
The rebirth of cultural heritage in Andhra Pradesh started in Rajahmundry. Kandukuri Veeresalingam Pantulu is known as the father of reformations in Andhra Pradesh. He started a monthly magazine Vivekavardhini, a school for girls at Dowlaiswaram in 1874. The first widow marriage took place on 11 December 1881. A society with 16 members was started on 22 Jun 1884, which used to look after the widow marriages in Rajahmundry. The town hall in Rajahmundry was established in 1890 by Veeresalingam.
Anni Besant visited Rajahmundry twice: first when the foundation of branch of Divya Gjyan Samaj building at Alcot Gardens was being laid. She came again during the opening ceremony of the building.
Ramakrishna Mission was established in 1950–1951 near Kambaltank (the place in which present Ayakar Bhavan (Income tax office) was once a part of Sri Ramakrishna Mission only).
Independence movement and Rajahmundry: (1885–1905 AD)
Vandaemataram movement was started in the year 1905 against the partition of Bengal. Bipin Chandra Paul visited Rajahmundry in April 1905 for the same. During his visits to Rajahmundry he used to address the public in "PaulChowk"(the present Kotipalli Bustand).
Fort Gate (Kotagummam)
The area covering the old-Godavari railway station, statue of Mrityunjaya (Lord Hanuman), statue of Potti Sriramulu and Hotel Ajanta is called Fortgate. Today, the Fortgate is not there, but a wall (only a part) covering the main street (through which elephants, horses etc. were taken for a bath) is found. This wall is slanted on both sides.
During the construction of the Havelock Bridge (named after the then Madras Governor) in 1900 one of the fort walls was demolished. The fort was constructed between the 8th and 11th centuries during the reign of Chalukyas. Today also we can find Kandakam Street (Kandakam – A big canal dug around the fort filled with water to stop the enemy forces from coming into the fort – generally deep and wide).
The present municipal water works department (formerly Municipal High School) was famous as Ratnangi and Chitrangi palaces. An undergroundway (Sorangamu – The way to escape when enemy forces attack the palace from all the sides.
The fort of the Dutch
In 1602, the Dutch constructed a fort in Rajahmundry. The British empire converted it into a jail in 1864, and then elevated it to a central jail in 1870. The jail is spread over 196 acres (79 ha) out of which the buildings occupy 37.24 acres (15.07 ha).
Rajahmundry was under the Dutch rule for some time. This fort was constructed nearly two centuries ago. In 1857 the British conquered the Dutch and they converted this big fort into central Jail.