Penshaw was historically part of the parish of Houghton le Spring in County Durham. From 1866 it became a civil parish in its own right. In 1937 the parish of Penshaw was abolished, being absorbed back into the parish of Houghton le Spring (apart from a small area which was transferred to the neighbouring parish of Offerton).Vision of Britain, accessed 12 Aug 2013.
Painshaw in 1837 Painshaw or Panshaw lies at some distance north of Houghton, on the banks of the Wear, at the western foot of a conical hill, Painshaw Hill : it is almost entirely occupied by persons connected with the collieries and stone quarries, the opening of which latter occasioned a considerable increase of population from 1821 to 1831 There is a chapel of ease, a plain convenient building, the minister of which is appointed by the rector of Houghton.
The village of Penshaw , formerly known as Painshaw or Pensher, is an area of the metropolitan district of the City of Sunderland, in Tyne and Wear, England. Historically in County Durham, it derives its name from the Cumbric Pen, meaning hill or ridge, and the Saxon Shaw, a wood or thicket; thus Penshaw is the wooded hill.
In terms of leisure amenities, Herrington Country Park is easily accessible and the Park contains a well-used young person's play area, a performance bowl, a skateboard park, a lake with extensive wildlife and a memorial site to Herrington Colliery which once mined the site for coal. The country park also holds many events like the county show which includes dog shows, face painting,bouncy castles etc. There are three public houses, The Prospect (original name recently restored), The Monument (formerly The Ship) and The Grey Horse. Though no working men's club remains, a Catholic club is situated on Station Rd. There are three Chinese takeaway facilities, Peach Garden, Mandarin Palace and Oriental House and an Indian restaurant and takeaway, the Penshaw Tandoori. Community facilities include Penshaw Community Centre and All Saints' Church Hall; both organise regular spring and summer events. In the village, at the foot of Penshaw Hill, is Penshaw Riding School. At the centre of Barnwell is an extensive playing field and young person's play area. Penshaw also has three primary schools within comfortable walking distance of each other, Barnwell, New Penshaw and Our Lady Queen of Peace Roman Catholic.
Aa annual cross-country event takes place in June each year when Sunderland Harriers stage the Penshaw Hill Race with a presentation to the winner and runners up in The Monument public house after the race.
The Hill, as it is known locally, also overlooks Wearside Golf Club, a long-established golf club originating in 1892 and Sunderland AFC's Stadium of Light can also be seen clearly from here.