|Type||Township, Civil parish, Suburb|
|Located in||Cheshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Greater Manchester, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Bowdon, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a township|
|Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Bucklow Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district in which Partington was located 1894-1974|
|Trafford (metropolitan borough), Greater Manchester, England||metropolitan borough in which it has been located since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Partington is a town and civil parish within the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford in Greater Manchester, England, about 10 miles (16 km) to the south-west of Manchester city centre. It has a population of 7,327. Partington lies west of Sale, north-east of the civil parish of Warburton, and is on the Trafford's northern border with the City of Salford.
The civil parish of Partington was created in 1894, under the Local Government Act 1894 and has its own town council. Partington was part of Bucklow Rural District from 1894 until 1974.
Until 1974 Partington was part of Cheshire. It lies on the southern bank of the Manchester Ship Canal, opposite Cadishead on the northern bank.
A paper mill built in Partington in 1755 was the first factory in Trafford. The completion of the Manchester Ship Canal in 1894 transformed Partington into a major coal-exporting port and attracted a range of other industries. The canal was widened to 250 feet (76 m) for three-quarters of a mile (1.2 km) to allow for the construction of a coaling basin, equipped with four hydraulic coal hoists. Partington was the nearest port to the Lancashire Coalfields, and brought the south Yorkshire collieries 30 miles (48 km) closer to the sea. Between 1898–1911, exports of coal accounted for 53.4% of the total export tonnage carried by the ship canal. The coal trade in turn resulted in Partington becoming a major railway depot, and attracted a range of other industries, including the Partington Steel & Iron Company, which was encouraged by the availability of coal to construct a steelworks. The works became a part of the Lancashire Steel Corporation in 1930, and dominated the economy of nearby Irlam until its closure in 1976.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Partington.
Partington was a township in Bowdon ancient parish, in [[Place:Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, England|Bucklow Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. The population was 358 in 1801, 485 in 1851, 587 in 1901, 957 in 1951, and 7,327 in 2001. (Source: GENUKI)
- Trafford Local Studies Centre holds the records of earlier municipalities in the area.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Partington, Cheshire, England | Bowdon, Cheshire, England | Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, England | Bucklow Rural, Cheshire, England | Greater Manchester, England | Trafford (metropolitan borough), Greater Manchester, England