|Type||Township, Civil parish, Suburb|
|Located in||Cheshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Merseyside, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Wirral (hundred), Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was situated|
|Wirral Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part|
|Woodchurch, Cheshire, England||ancient borough in which it was part located|
|Bidston, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was part located|
|Birkenhead, Cheshire, England||county borough of which it was a part|
|Wirral (metropolitan borough), Merseyside, England||metropolitan borough covering the greater part of the Wirral Peninsula since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Oxton was a township in Bidston ancient parish, in the Wirral hundred, which became a civil parish in 1866. It included the hamlets of Arno Hill and Lingdale. The civil parish was abolished in 1898 to become part of Birkenhead. The population was 137 in 1801, 2007 in 1851 and 4579 in 1901. At the 2001 Census, the population of Oxton was 14,066.
In the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974 the entire Wirral Peninsula, with the exception of the municipal borough of Ellesmere Port and urban district of Neston at the southern end, became the Metropolitan Borough of the Wirral in the new administrative county of Merseyside.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Wirral (hundred), Cheshire, England | Wirral Registration District, Cheshire, England | Birkenhead, Cheshire, England | Wirral (metropolitan borough), Merseyside, England | Merseyside, England | Bidston, Cheshire, England | Woodchurch, Cheshire, England | Oxton, Cheshire, England