|Alt names||Bidstone||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Located in||Cheshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Merseyside, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Wirral (hundred), Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was situated|
|Wirral Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part|
|Birkenhead, Cheshire, England||borough into which part of it was merged in 1933|
|Wallasey, Cheshire, England||borough into which part of it was merged in 1933|
|Wirral (metropolitan borough), Merseyside, England||metropolitan borough now covering most of the Wirral Peninsula|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Bidston was an ancient parish in the Wirral hundred of Cheshire, England. It was also a village in the civil parish of Bidston-cum-Ford which was established in 1866. In 1933 the civil parish was split between the boroughs of Birkenhead and Wallasey. Bidston is now considered an inland suburb of Birkenhead.
In the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974 the entire Wirral Peninsula, with the exception of the municipal borough of Ellesmere Port and urban district of Neston at the southern end, became the Metropolitan Borough of the Wirral in the new administrative county of Merseyside.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Bidston.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bidston from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BIDSTONE. a township and a parish in Wirrall district, Cheshire. The township lies on the Hoylake railway, 3 miles WNW of Birkenhead; and has a railway station. Acres: 1,689. Real property: £3,062. Population: 282. Houses: 48.
- "The parish includes also the townships of Moreton-cum-Lingham, Claughton-cum-Grange, and Saughall-Massey or Saughan-Massie; and its Post Town is Birkenhead. Acres: 4,248. Real property: £20,130. Population: 2,154. Houses: 323. The property is subdivided.
- "Bidstone Hill commands a fine view of the surrounding country, the Mersey, and the Irish sea. A lighthouse, 50 feet high, stands on the hill, showing a fixed light, elevated 300 feet above high-water, visible at the distance of 23 miles, and leading, when in line with Leasowe light, through the Horse channel at the Mersey's mouth; and a telegraph was adjacent, communicating eastward with Liverpool, and westward, through a chain, with Holyhead. Waterworks for Birkenhead, and a cemetery with two chapels, were being formed in Bidstone in 1862. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value: £98. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church is excellent. Claughton and Moreton are separate benefices. A school has an endowed income of £15, and other charities £5.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Wirral (hundred), Cheshire, England | Wirral Registration District, Cheshire, England | Wirral Rural, Cheshire, England | Birkenhead, Cheshire, England | Wallasey, Cheshire, England | Wirral (metropolitan borough), Merseyside, England | Merseyside, England | Bidston, Cheshire, England
Help fund new features!