|Alt names||Nurstead||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Toltingtrough Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Strood Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1935|
|Cobham, Kent, England||parish with which it was combined in 1935|
|Meopham, Kent, England||parish to which the land was transferred in 1963|
|Gravesham District, Kent, England||district municipality which has covered the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Nurstead (or Nursted) is a locality, ecclesiastical parish and former civil parish situated 3 miles south of Gravesend and ½ a mile north of Meopham in Kent, England.
The parish was in the Hundred of Toltingtrough in the Lathe of Aylesford. It had an area of 522 acres.
The name of the parish was "Notestede" in the Domesday Book of 1086, but by the 18th century although formally spelled "Nutsted" it was at this time commonly called Nursted.
Since 1974 it is in the civil parish of Meopham, which is divided into three wards, one of which bears the name "Hook Green and Nurstead". Nurstead has a small 14th-century church, dedicated to St. Mildred and this is still the church of the parish, although the benefice is united with Meopham.
The civil parish was abolished in 1935 when it was united with Cobham and in 1963 the land was transferred to Meopham.
Nurstead is a small parish, being not quite a mile in extent each way. It lies most of it on high ground, and has a great variety of soils, having in it arable, orchard, and hop ground, and some woodland towards the north boundary of it, next to Northfleet (formerly a parish and then an Urban District; it joins to Meopham southward. In 1797 there were but five houses in it, i.e. Nurstead Court, Nurstead Hill Farm at the west end of the parish, and Copthall, at the east end, plus two cottages. Between 1811 and 1931 its highest population was 64, reached in 1881.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
- The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
Categories: Kent, England | Nursted, Kent, England | Toltingtrough Hundred, Kent, England | Strood Rural, Kent, England | Cobham, Kent, England | Meopham, Kent, England | Gravesham District, Kent, England