North Stoke and South Stoke were originally townships in an ecclesiastical parish named Stoke which became a civil parish after 1776. The civil parish continued until 1866 and also contained the township of Easton.
William the Conqueror (d. 1087) granted this parish to the Rochford family and it remained in the family's possession until 1663. This association prompted the renaming of the parish to Stoke Rochford, originally on an informal basis but gaining popularity over time.
The Turnor family purchased the parish in 1663 and had the Stoke Rochford manor built in 1864. By 1677 Sir Edmund Turnor had endowed six almshouses for the poor of North and South Stoke. A new mansion was built to replace the old manor house around 1842. The "park", itself, occupied about 400 acres. At this point North Stoke (being on the opposite side of the park to the mansion and its subsidiary village) was removed from the southern part of the parish and by 1866 became a separate civil parish.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of North Stoke from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
There was formerly a church dedicated to St. Andrew in North Stoke, but that church was demolished some years prior to 1913. Subsequently the inhabitants of North Stoke worshipped at the Church of St. Mary in South Stoke which was rededicated to both St. Mary and St. Andrew. (GENUKI)
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.