Stoke Rochford is a small village 5.5 miles (9 km) south from Grantham in the South Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. It is noted for being the location of the two Grade I listed buildings, Stoke Rochford Hall and the twin-dedicated St. Mary and St. Andrew's Church.
The civil parish was formed in 1931 from the former civil parishes of North Stoke and South Stoke. The Rochford part of the name came from the fact that the original parish of Stoke was granted by William the Conqueror (1028-1087) to the Rochford family and it remained in the family's possession until 1663.
Stoke Rochford and the neighbouring parish of Easton carry out their civil and ecclesiastical obligations in tandem although they are still considered separate parishes. Because the division between the parishes follows the main road and the main road has been straightend, St. Mary and St. Andrew's Church is geographically in Easton parish.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.