Place:Nonington, Kent, England

TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.2271°N 1.2283°E
Located inKent, England
See alsoEastry Rural, Kent, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Aylesham, Kent, Englandcivil parish formed out of part of Nonington in 1951
Dover District, Kent, Englanddistrict municipality which has covered the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Nonington, also, variously, Nonnington, Nunyngton, Nonnyngton, Nunnington, is a small village in the Dover District in the southeast corner of Kent, situated halfway between the historic city of Canterbury and the channel port town of Dover.

In 1800, Edward Hasted noted, that the church of Nonington was "antiently a chapel of ease to that of Wingham, and was on the foundation of the college there by Archbishop Peckham in 1286". Then the church was given to the college. In 1558, Queen Mary granted it, among others, to the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The parish of Nonington was once made up of the now separate parishes of Nonington and Aylesham. Aylesham was part of Nonington until 1951. Served by the Grade I listed 'Church of St Mary'. It also has a Baptist chapel, linked to Eythorne Baptist Church.

Nonington was part of the coalmining area of Kent which closed around 1980.

Research Tips

  • Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
  • Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
  • For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
  • Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
  • Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
  • Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
  • England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
  • Kent had five family history societies (now only four):

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Nonington. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.