Aylesham is a village and civil parish 6.5 miles (10.5 km) southeast of the cathedral city of Canterbury, and around 8.5 miles (13.7 km) northwest of the town and port of Dover. Aylesham has been since 1974 a part of the Dover District of Kent in England. From 1951 until 1974 it was a civil parish in Eastry Rural District. Prior to 1951 it was part of the parish of Nonington. According to the 2001 census the parish had a population of 3,884.
The village was built in the 1920s to accommodate workers at nearby coal mines. Apart from Aylesham itself the parish includes Snowdown, one of the four chief collieries of the Kent coalfield. Coalmining in Kent ceased around 1980.