Place:Woolton, Lancashire, England

Watchers
NameWoolton
TypeTown or village, Suburb
Coordinates53.374°N 2.865°W
Located inLancashire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inMerseyside, England     (1974 - )
See alsoLiverpool (metropolitan borough), Merseyside, Englandmetropolitan borough of which it was a part since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Woolton, originally Much Woolton, is a suburb of Liverpool, England and a Liverpool City Council Ward. It is located in the south of the city, bordered by Gateacre, Hunt's Cross, Allerton, and Halewood in the neighbouring Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley. At the 2011 Census the population was recorded as 12,921. GENUKI provides the following description of Woolton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WOOLTON, a village and a chapelry in Much-Woolton township, Childwall parish, Lancashire. The vi1lage stands 2 miles NNE of Garston [railway] station, and 5 SE of Liverpool; was anciently called Wolveton; comprises several streets; and has a post-office under Liverpool, a police station, and a mechanics' institution. The chapelry was constituted in 1828. Population in 1861: 3,538. Houses: 687. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value: £300. Patron: the Vicar of Childwall. The church was built in 1826. There are an Independent chapel of 1864, a Wesleyan chapel of 1834, a Unitarian chapel of about the end of the 16th century, a Roman Catholic chapel of 1861, national schools, a British school, and a Roman Catholic school."

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Woolton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.