|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Tyne and Wear, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Tynemouth, Northumberland, England||ancient borough in which it was a township|
|Castle Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Whitley Bay, Northumberland, England||urban district in which it was located 1894-1913|
|Whitley and Monkseaton, Northumberland, England||urban district in which it was located 1913-1974|
|North Tyneside, Tyne and Wear, England||metropolitan borough of which it is a part since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Monkseaton is a village near Whitley Bay, North Tyneside, in the northeast of England. It is in the northeastern section of the borough, less than a kilometre from the North Sea coast and around 5 km north of the River Tyne at North Shields. A kilometre or so north of Monkseaton, the extensive built-up area of North Tyneside changes abruptly into green belt stretching north into southeast Northumberland. Monkseaton had a population of 19,044 in the UK census of 2011.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Monkseaton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "MONKSEATON, a township in Tynemouth parish, Northumberland; 2½ miles NNW of North Shields. Acres: 1,110. Population: 421. Houses: 80. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. The stump of an ancient cross, called the Monk's stone, is here; and a gallows of the prior of Tynemouth stood near it. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a large brewery, and several collieries."
Monkseaton was a originally a township in the ancient parish of Tynemouth and eventually had two ecclesiastical parishes: Monkseaton St. Peter and Monkseaton St. Mary. It was a civil parish between 1866 and 1913 and from 1984 until 1913 located in Whitley Bay Urban District. In 1913 Whitley Bay Urban District became Whitley and Monkseaton civil parish and Urban District. Whitley and Monkseaton was expanded in 1935 by the abolition and absorbtion of Seaton Delaval.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.