Marlow is a town and civil parish within the Wycombe District in south Buckinghamshire, England. It is located on the River Thames, 4 miles (6.5 km) south-southwest of High Wycombe, 5 miles (8 km) west-northwest of Maidenhead in Berkshire and 33 miles (53 km) west of central London.
From Norman times the manor, parish and later borough were formally known as "Great Marlow", distinguishing it from the manor and parish of Little Marlow to the east. The ancient parish was large and included the rural areas to the north and west of the town. In 1896 the Civil Parish of Great Marlow, created earlier that century from the ancient parish, was divided into "Great Marlow Urban District" (made up solely of the town of Great Marlow) and "the Civil Parish of Great Marlow" (the rural areas). In 1897 the urban district was renamed Marlow Urban District, and the town itself has been known simply as "Marlow".
Marlow owed its importance to its location on the River Thames, where the road from Reading to High Wycombe crosses the river. There has been a bridge over the Thames at Marlow since the reign of King Edward III (1312-1377). The current bridge is a suspension bridge, designed by William Tierney Clark in 1832, and was a prototype for the much larger Széchenyi Chain Bridge across the River Danube in Budapest.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Marlow, Buckinghamshire. Includes a list of the owners of the manor through the centuries.
Birth, marriage and death certificates can now be ordered online from Buckinghamshire County Council. The full postal address is Buckinghamshire Register Office, County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1YU.
The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies (County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1UU) holds
In Buckinghamshire, as with other counties in England and Wales, the location of offices where Births, Marriages and Deaths were registered has altered with other changes in local government. A list of the location of Registration Offices since civil registration began in 1837 has been prepared by GENUKI (Genealogy: United Kingdom and Ireland). The table also gives details of when each Registration Office was in existence. In the case of Buckinghamshire, the same registration offices were used for the censuses since 1851.
Nineteenth Century Local Administration
English Jurisdictions is a webpage provided by FamilySearch which analyses every ecclesiastical parish in England at the year 1851. It provides, with the aid of outline maps, the date at which parish records and bishops transcripts begin, non-conformist denominations with a chapel within the parish, the names of the jurisdictions in charge: county, civil registration district, probate court, diocese, rural deanery, poor law union, hundred, church province; and links to FamilySearch historical records, FamilySearch Catalog and the FamilySearch Wiki. Two limitations: only England, and at the year 1851.
During the 19th century two bodies, the Poor Law Union and the Sanitary District, had responsibility for governmental functions at a level immediately above that covered by the civil parish. In 1894 these were replace by Rural and Urban Districts. These were elected bodies, responsible for setting local property assessments and taxes as well as for carrying out their specified duties. Thses districts continued in operation until 1974. Urban districts for larger municipalities were called "Municipal Boroughs" and had additional powers and obligations.
Poor Law Unions, established nationally in 1834, combined parishes together for the purpose of providing relief for the needy who had no family support. This led to the building of '"union poorhouses" or "workhouses" funded by all the parishes in the union. The geographical boundaries established for the individual Poor Law Unions were employed again when Registration Districts were formed three years later. In 1875 Sanitary Districts were formed to provide services such as clean water supply, sewage systems, street cleaning, and the clearance of slum housing. These also tended to follow the same geographical boundaries, although there were local alterations caused by changes in population distribution.
Online Historical References