Lutton (sometimes Lutton-Bourne) is a village and civil parish in the South Holland District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situared about 4 miles (6 km) south-east from the town of Holbeach. The village has been known by the alternative name of Sutton St. Nicholas because its parish church was once a chapelry in the parish of Long Sutton (which is adjacent to the south). The civil parish comprises the village of Lutton, with Lutton Marsh to the north-east and Lutton Garnsgate to the south-west.
Lutton is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as "Luctone", with 16 households, 60 acres (0.24 km2) of meadow and one fishery. By the 8th century Lutton had become an established Anglo-Saxon settlement by the sea. Until the Dissolution of the Monasteries (1530s) the church belonged to the estates of the Cluniacs of Castle Acre Priory, Norfolk. For many centuries the village was part of the estates of the Duchy of Lancaster.
The present church of St Nicholas is a Grade I listed building dating almost entirely from the 16th century, and built of red brick.
Garnsgate Hall is an early 18th-century red-brick Grade II* listed building. It was built by the Delamore family about 1685 but was heavily remodelled, or completely rebuilt, in the early part of the 18th century in Queen Anne style. The family sold the house in 1749, after which the Allenby family owned the Hall for over 150 years. Historic people have links with the Hall: a descendant of Oliver Cromwell and Viscount Edmund Allenby's father and stepbrother in turn owned the Hall so Allenby might have stayed there at some point (the Hall passed to Viscount Allenby's stepbrother from his father's first marriage).
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.