From 1894 until 1932 Long Sutton was an urban district in the Parts of Holland. In 1932 it lost its urban district status and became part of East Elloe Rural District which covered the parishes surrounding it. South Holland District has covered the whole area since 1974.
Long Sutton was historically in the wapentake of Elloe in the Parts of Holland. The Friday market dates back to the early 13th century when the town was a prosperous trading centre. By the mid-14th century, it was considered to be one of the richest communities in Lincolnshire.
Prosperity continued into the 20th century, helped by the arrival of the railways. In the 1950s eleven trains would daily transport passengers and local produce to and from the town.
The town previously had a railway station on the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway. However, it was closed in 1959 when passenger services were withdrawn from almost the entire M&GN route.
Names of local parishes and their churches
The parish church of Long Sutton is St. Mary's which in old registers is often called the parish of Sutton St. Mary. Sutton St. Edmund and Sutton St. James are separate parishes (both civil and ecclesiastical) to the southwest. The parish of Lutton (or Lutton-Bourne) to the north of Long Sutton has its parish church dedicated to St. Nicholas and that parish is sometimes known as Sutton St. Nicholas. Sutton Bridge, to the east is the location of the church of St. Matthew. Little Sutton is a small civil parish without a parish church between Long Sutton and Sutton Bridge. It was formed from part of Long Sutton in 1894 and is redirected here.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.