|Located in||Lancashire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Greater Manchester, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Winwick, Lancashire, England||ecclesiastical parish of which it was a part until 1866|
|Leigh Rural, Lancashire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1933|
|Golborne, Lancashire, England||urban district in which it was located 1933-1974|
|Wigan (metropolitan borough), Greater Manchester, England||metropolitan borough in which it has been located since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Lowton has been, since 1974, a suburban village within the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan, in Greater Manchester, England. It is around 2 miles (3.2 km) from Leigh, 7 miles (11 km) south of Wigan and 11.0 miles (17.7 km) west of Manchester city centre. The settlement lies across the A580 East Lancashire Road.
Until 1974 Lowton was located close to the southern border of Lancashire. Its early history is marked by the presence of Byrom Manor, the ancestral home of Byroms, the family that included poet John Byrom (1692-1763), who invented a system of shorthand.
During the time of the Industrial Revolution, Lowton was close to several collieries and factories and built up associations with coal mining and other manufacturing industries.
Between 1894 and 1933, Lowton was part of Leigh Rural District, and from 1933 until 1974, part of the Golborne Urban District.
In 1974, as part of the local government reorganisation enacted in the Local Government Act 1972, it became part of the Wigan Metropolitan Borough of Greater Manchester.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Lowton.
Categories: Lancashire, England | Greater Manchester, England | Wigan (metropolitan borough), Greater Manchester, England | Golborne, Lancashire, England | Leigh Rural, Lancashire, England | Winwick, Lancashire, England