- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Langdon Hills is now a township located in the Basildon District of Essex, England. It is contiguous with the Basildon continuous urban area.
It is located south of Laindon railway station on the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. It is the location of the 400-acre (1.6 km2) Langdon Hills Country Park, which is in the unitary authority of Thurrock. In 1767, Arthur Young commented on the view from Langdon Hills
- "…near Horndon, on the summit of a vast hill, one of the most astonishing prospects to be beheld, breaks almost at once upon one of the dark lanes. Such a prodigious valley, everywhere painted with the finest verdure, and intersected with numberless hedges and woods, appears beneath you, that it is past description; the Thames winding thro’ it, full of ships and bounded by the hills of Kent. Nothing can exceed it…" (Source:Arthur Young, A Six Weeks' Tour through the Southern Counties of England and Wales)
North of the railway station and line, in Basildon district, is Laindon. Laindon and Langdon Hills are part of the Basildon post town.
Until its abolition in 1936, Langdon Hills was a civil parish, part of the Orsett Rural District. In 1936, it became part of the Thurrock Urban District. The area covered by the traditional parish of Langdon Hills is in the Unitary Authority of Thurrock.
In 1931 it covered an area of 1,816 acres (7.35 km2) and had a population of 2,103. 100 years earlier, in 1831, the population was 224 and the area covered was 1,850 acres (7.5 km2).
- The Thurrock Local History Society provides an Ordnance Survey map which illustrates the area of Essex covered by Thurrock. Unfortunately the area of the Langdon Hills above the A13 has been cut off on the map.
Categories: Essex, England | Langdon Hills, Essex, England | Orsett Rural, Essex, England | Thurrock, Essex, England | Basildon (district), Essex, England | Thurrock (district), Essex, England