|Alt names||Kimbleworth||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Durham, England|
|See also||Chester Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located until 1829|
|Durham Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1829|
|Durham Rural, Durham, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1909|
|City of Durham District, Durham, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Kimblesworth is now a relatively small village in County Durham, England. It is situated between Durham and Chester le Street. The appropriate civil parish since 1974 is Kimblesworth and Plawsworth. The population of this parish at the 2011 UK census was 1,614.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Kimblesworth from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "KIMBLEWORTH, an extra-parochial tract in the district and county of Durham; on the Northeastern railway, 2¾ miles N by W of Durham. Acres: 571. Real property: £480. Population: 37. Houses: 7. This place was once a parish; and it still ranks as a rectory, annexed to the [perpetual] curacy of Witton-Gilbert, in the diocese of Durham."
Kimblesworth was originally an ancient parish in the Chester Ward and also of the Durham Ward after 1829. It had no subsidiary townships. It was made a civil parish in the 19th century in 1858 and immediately became part of the Durham Rural District. Since 1974, within the City of Durham District it has joined forces with the neighbouring parish of Plawsworth as Kimblesworth and Plawsworth.
Categories: Durham, England | Kimblesworth, Durham, England | Chester Ward, Durham, England | Durham Ward, Durham, England | Durham Rural, Durham, England | City of Durham District, Durham, England