Kensal Green Cemetery is a cemetery to the south of Kensal Green, in the west of London, England, in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Inspired by the Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris and founded by the barrister George Frederick Carden, Kensal Green Cemetery was opened in 1833 and comprises 72 acres of grounds, including two conservation areas, adjoining a canal. Kensal Green Cemetery is home to at least 33 species of bird and other wildlife. This distinctive cemetery has a host of different memorials ranging from large mausoleums housing the rich and famous to many distinctive smaller graves and even includes special areas dedicated to the very young. With three chapels catering for people of all faiths and social standing, the General Cemetery Company has provided a haven in the heart of London for over 180 years for its inhabitants to remember their loved one in a tranquil and dignified environment.
The area was immortalised in the lines of G. K. Chesterton's poem "The Rolling English Road" from his book The Flying Inn: "For there is good news yet to hear and fine things to be seen; Before we go to Paradise by way of Kensal Green."
Despite its Grecian-style buildings the cemetery is primarily Gothic in character, due to the high number of private Gothic monuments.
The cemetery is in Kensington and Chelsea, but the remainder of the area named Kensal Green is in the London Borough of Brent.
An Act of Parliament was passed in the 1830s which allowed joint-stock companies to purchase land and set up large cemeteries outside the boundaries of the City of London. The "Magnificent Seven" cemeteries were all laid out about the same time (1832–41). Highgate Cemetery, where many dignitaries are buried, is the most well known: the others are Nunhead, West Norwood, Tower Hamlets Cemetery, Brompton, and Abney Park.