Abney Park in Stoke Newington, in the London Borough of Hackney, was an historic parkland originally laid out in the early 18th century by Lady Mary Abney and Dr. Isaac Watts, and the neighbouring Hartopp family.
In 1840 it became a non-denominational garden cemetery, a semi-public park arboretum, and an educational institute, which was widely celebrated as an example of its time. A total of 196,843 burials had taken place there as of the year 2000. It is a Local Nature Reserve.
An Act of Parliament was passed in the 1830s which allowed joint-stock companies to purchase land and set up large cemeteries outside the boundaries of the City of London. The "Magnificent Seven" cemeteries were all laid out about the same time (1832–41). Highgate Cemetery, where many dignitaries are buried, is the most well known: the others are Nunhead, West Norwood, Kensal Green, Tower Hamlets Cemetery and Brompton.