|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Toltingtrough Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Strood Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1935|
|Gravesend, Kent, England||municipal borough into which part was transferred in 1935|
|Cobham, Kent, England||civil parish into which part was transferred in 1935|
|Gravesham District, Kent, England||district municipality which has covered the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There is also an Ifield in the neighbouring county of Sussex. They should not be confused.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Ifield is the name given to the area south of Gravesend in Kent, England.
Ifield, once a large rural parish, is now a few houses south of the main road, and the tiny church of St Margaret, with Norman architecture included in its walls. The parish formed part of the Hundred of Toltingtrough, then of Strood Rural District from 1894 until it was abolished in 1935, when it was split between Cobham and the Municipal Borough of Gravesend.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
- The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
Categories: Kent, England | Ifield, Kent, England | Toltingtrough Hundred, Kent, England | Strood Rural, Kent, England | Gravesend, Kent, England | Cobham, Kent, England | Gravesham District, Kent, England