- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Huntley, Gloucestershire, is a village on the A40 located seven miles (11 km) west of Gloucester in an area which is now within the Forest of Dean District.
The village was the scene of fighting during the English civil war. In 1643 the Royalists took the Parliamentary garrison, but they were betrayed and in 1644 the Parliamentarians regained control.
The roads to Mitcheldean (now the A4136) and Ross-on-Wye were turnpiked in 1726 and the Toll house, which was built c1830 stood at their junction. This Toll house, that operated where the Longhope Road joins the Ross Road, was of sufficient importance to be replaced by a new one in 1881 and the house still stands.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Huntley.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county