|Alt names||Hotone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 53|
|Type||Civil parish, Village|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Wirral Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1933|
|Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, England||urban district of which it was a part 1933-1950|
|Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, England||town into which it was annexed in 1950|
|Ellesmere Port and Neston (borough), Cheshire, England||district municipality into which Ellesmere Port was merged in 1974|
|Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, England||unitary authority covers the area since 2009|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Hooton was a township in the ancient parish of Eastham in the Wirral hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. It included the hamlet of Rivacre. The population was 91 in 1801, 110 in 1851, and 200 in 1901.
In 1933 it was reduced in size, losing 93 acres and a population of 142 to Childer Thornton parish and 638 acres and a population of 104 to Eastham parish. These sections were immediately re-annexed by Bebington Borough Council. The civil parish (with a remaining area of 462 acres and no population in 1931) was abolished in 1950 to become part of Ellesmere Port
It was part of Wirral Rural District from 1894 until 1933 and part of Ellesmere Port Urban District from 1933 until 1950.
Hooton is now a village near the town of Ellesmere Port within the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and still remains within the ceremonial county of Cheshire although on the border of the Metropolitan Borough of the Wirral in Merseyside, England.