Bebington was originally an ancient parish within the Wirral Hundred in Cheshire, England. It included a number of communities, the largest of which were Higher Bebington, Lower Bebington and Bromborough. These three settlements faced the River Mersey with Higher Bebington being closest to its mouth and Bromborough the furthest away. In 1866 they each became civil parishes and, in 1894, urban districts. In 1922 they merged as Bebington and Bromborough Urban District.
In 1933 the name was changed to Bebington Urban District and the district was expanded to include a number of civil parishes which had formerly been part of Wirral Rural District. These included
There is some conflict between sources as to whether any of Thornton Heath and Willaston were absorbed into Bebington. If they did not, they were both absorbed into Neston-cum-Parkgate and subsequently into the borough of Ellesmere Port and Neston and thus remained in Cheshire.
In 1937 the whole of Bebington was declared a municipal borough.
In the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974 the entire Wirral Peninsula, with the exception of the municipal borough of Ellesmere Port and urban district of Neston at the southern end, became the Metropolitan Borough of the Wirral in the new administrative county of Merseyside.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Bebington.