Hillingdon is one of the ancient parishes of Middlesex. In 1894 it was split into two civil parishes: Hillingdon East and Hillingdon West. Hillingdon East was part of the Uxbridge Rural District until 1929, when it was transferred to Uxbridge Urban District. Hillingdon West by contrast was part of Uxbridge Urban District from its creation in 1894. In 1938 all the parishes within Uxbridge Urban District were merged into the parish of Uxbridge. Since 1965 the former territory of Hillingdon has been part of the London Borough of Hillingdon.