- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Hatherop is a village and civil parish in the Cotswold District of Gloucestershire, England, about 2.5 miles (4.0 km) north of Fairford. The River Coln forms part of the western boundary of the parish.
Hatherop lies in the southern part of the Cotswolds and is approximately 30 miles (48 km) south-east of Gloucester. It is situated about 9 miles (15 km) east of Cirencester and 3 miles (3.5 km) north of Fairford. Close by are the parishes of Coln St. Aldwyns and Quenington. The three villages lie on the edge of the parkland of 17th-century mansion Williamstrip, home of politician Michael Hicks Beach, 1st Earl St Aldwyn, the first Earl St Aldwyn.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Hatherop.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Brightwells Barrow (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Cotswold (district), Gloucestershire, England | Cirencester Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Cirencester Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Hatherop, Gloucestershire, England