- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in wikipedia:QueningtonWikipedia
Quenington is a village and civil parish in the Cotswold District of Gloucestershire, England, about eight miles east of Cirencester and near Fairford. In 2010 it had an estimated population of 600.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Quenington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "QUENINGTON, a village and a parish in Cirencester [registration] district, Gloucester. The village stands on the Fosseway and the river Coln, 2 miles N of Fairford, and 8 E by N of Cirencester [railway] station; and has a post-office under Swindon. The parish comprises 1,630 acres. Real property: £2,787. Population: 426. Houses: 98. The property is divided among a few. A preceptory of Knights Hospitallers was founded here, before the time of King John; and went to the Kingstones. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £192. Patron: Sir M. H. Beach. The church is ancient but good; and has two Norman doors, and a tower. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £10."
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Brightwells Barrow (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Cotswold (district), Gloucestershire, England | Cirencester Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Cirencester Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Quenington, Gloucestershire, England